No announcement yet.

iPhone thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some neat things you can do , but I found that my phone became less stable so from that point of view I don't think it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
      Almost everyone I know keeps on at me to "jailbreak" my phone!

What's the general consensus, worth it or not?

Moreover, what do people on here do with theirs? Jailbroken or not?
      If you want to use it on a different network then it, as i did, then its essential. However with the phone now on orange and coming to all the other networks that point it pretty moot now, especially as all the pricing and tariffs are the same.

Also, as boris stated, the more you upgrade the apps, the less stable the phone becomes as the firmware has to stay the same until the next version of the hack comes out.

Comment

I haven't had any stability issues whatsoever with my jailbroken 3G.

Is it worth doing? Certainly for unlocking purposes because with each new firmware, Apple close the holes that allows unlocking and jailbreaking to take place. The iPhone Dev Team and George Hotz (the boy genius that first unlocked the original iPhone) have continually found ways to upgrade the iPhone firmware without updating the baseband which is essentially what prevents the iPhone from being jailbroken/unlocked. If you're with O2, then fill out a form from them and they will unlock it for you legitimately, making it easier to sell on in the future because there's quite a demand for these things on the secondhand market.

Jailbreaking also allows you to add little things like making the dock support 5 apps instead of 4, adding a quick settings page rather than drilling down several levels to simply reach Bluetooth for example. You can also muck about with the message alert tones when normally all you can change are the ringtones. The iPhone viruses that are going around are not a problem if you change the default password as soon as you jailbreak.

The process is completely reversible by simply doing a software restore in iTunes if you find it's not for you. George Hotz's Black Ra1n is probably the easiest jailbreak so far if you fancy giving it a go.

Comment

Do people really care about those things though, they seem rather minor, I wonder if people just use them as an excuse for piracy of the apps?

Comment

I was jailbroken but my signal kept dropping, restored to stock and the signal problem went away

My phone is officially unlocked from O2 now anyway

Comment

I can't think of a single valid reason to jailbreak my phone. So I shan't.

Comment

That is where I'm at right now!

Comment

I've got mine Jailbroken, mainly for things like themes, message tones, Youtube downloader, downloading files in Safari, VLC media player, accessing the root directory and mostly for being able to catagorise my apps into folders instead of having page after page of them. Theres plenty of other freeware on Cydia and Rock which are worth adding as well, obviously if your not interested in having any of the above then it's pretty pointless.

Can't see the point in people jailbreaking for piracy though, it's pretty sad if you want to steal 59p-?4 apps.

Comment

My friend has this "copy" iPhone. He showed it me last night. It's exactly the same as a Apple one, only it's unlocked for any network and jailbroken out of the box. Bargainous price too. Technology eh? In my day etc...
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Anyone impressed with Tesco tariffs?

I'm in the market for one of these, so it's either stick with 02 or go for Tesco - The 12 month contract option, and £20 a month tariff seems pretty cool, but it's offset by £320 for the handset (16g version)

Comment

Just called O2 to get my iPhone 3G on to a cheap Simplicity tariff since my 18 months is almost up and they're now doing an iPhone Simplicity tariff for £20 a month, 30 day rolling contract. I'm getting 600 minutes, 1200 texts and I retain the free data and wifi, and visual voicemail which you don't get on the normal Simplicity tariffs. Should tide me over until the summer when the next iPhone should eventually get launched.

Comment

Originally posted by SS004 View Post
                          Anyone impressed with Tesco tariffs?

I'm in the market for one of these, so it's either stick with 02 or go for Tesco - The 12 month contract option, and ?20 a month tariff seems pretty cool, but it's offset by ?320 for the handset (16g version)
                          Everywhere I've read is claiming that they are in fact worse deals than the current Orange/O2 ones...

Comment

Total it up for 18 or 24 months and see then. Tesco's one does on paper sound cheaper for the whole contract.

Comment

£300+ for a 16gb though?

Comment

Depends what "£60 worth of calls and txt", actually gets you

EDIT:

worked it out and this is what i got

spend £30 on calls:

Half price to your 5 favourite numbers. Calls 10p per min.
                                Low, flat rates to any UK network, any time. Calls 20p per min.

average = 15p/min
                                So you get 200min

spend the other £30 on txt:

Half price to your 5 favourite numbers. Texts 5p each.
                                Low, flat rates to any UK network, any time. Texts 10p each.

average = 7.5p/txt
                                So you get 400txt
                                Last edited by KIT786; 10-12-2009, 21:04.

Comment

Working...
                                X