No announcement yet.

Keep Fit Club - ALL exercise types!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Based on previous efforts in training, I can suggest I was around 170 by the end of 1km and raised to 190 gradually through the race.

I worked out my splits for the last 2km - they were average 3:27 - I'm guessing 3:29 and 3:25 based on feel.

Comment

I've been slowly improving with my running since I binned off the gym, it's given me more time to dedicate to it. I did a slow 12K this morning in 57 odd minutes which is incredible for me considering how out of shape I was last year. It was bloody freezing though. There is a Park Run on Saturday mornings not far from me, been thinking of putting my name down for PBs.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        Based on previous efforts in training, I can suggest I was around 170 by the end of 1km and raised to 190 gradually through the race.

I worked out my splits for the last 2km - they were average 3:27 - I'm guessing 3:29 and 3:25 based on feel.
        You're a beast. I'm still around 1min/km slower at that distance. So 190 must be getting close to your max HR?

Comment

Yeah 190 is max. Arash, parkrun is cool and if you fancy doing a longer run you can just add some on the end.

Comment

Smashed it

35:23 Chip time.

Astonished tbh. I wasn't even sure if I could keep up a pace for 36:30.

Based on that, feelrace says 2:47 marathon LOL https://feelrace.com/fr.pl?ds=10&hh=...=MARCO&pg=Exec
            Whoa! And I thought your time on Strava was your chip time! Do you think you've got a sub-35 inside you later this year?

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
            I've been slowly improving with my running since I binned off the gym, it's given me more time to dedicate to it. I did a slow 12K this morning in 57 odd minutes which is incredible for me considering how out of shape I was last year. It was bloody freezing though. There is a Park Run on Saturday mornings not far from me, been thinking of putting my name down for PBs.
            Parkrun is awesome - it's really helped me out in my running by giving me a weekly opportunity to run much faster than normal against other people. It's whatever you want to make it, so some people treat it as a recovery etc. I popped along to the original Bushy Parkrun event on Saturday as a pilgrimage - it was nuts to see just shy of 1,000 runners on the start line at a grass roots running event!

Comment

Personal trainer is wrecking me this week- 90 sit-ups plus weights and lunges and I feel like living origami. Pain all over my abdomen since Friday... is it normal to last that long?

Comment

Depends if you've done anything like that before. 50 sit ups would destroy me these days

Comment

Quick, quick! Won't stay like this for long! 30th in UK rankings for V40 http://thepowerof10.info/athletes/pr...hleteid=121144

Comment

Quick, quick! Won't stay like this for long! 30th in UK rankings for V40 http://thepowerof10.info/athletes/pr...hleteid=121144
                    Nice! Was London 2012 your first marathon? I'm getting seriously tempted to sign up for my first, if I can find something towards the end of the year. A Polish friend of mine has suggested I start off with Warsaw, which could be a nice excuse for a family holiday. I would probably aim for around four hours as well.

At the moment I'm doing loads of easy miles, and loosely (very loosely) following the Hadd approach. I've been doing this since January, and I have a HM in 3 weeks time. I'm a bit apprehensive, as I haven't come close to testing my quicker pacing since last year, so I've no idea how effective all this jogging will be. I'm tempted to do at least one steady run before the event, just to see if I can still run at target pace!

Comment

Yeah London was my first. I basically did a half marathon and then died at 16 miles lol. Hobbled to the finish like a cripple. It's really crowded.

At the end of the year there is Portsmouth which I think is a really good first marathon because you won't be pressured with getting a PB (it's a mix of road and off road and wind....), so you'll just enjoy it and realise what it's all about and then approach a road one the following April armed with that knowledge.

You could try moving on from HADD to Lydiard: http://www.ultrunr.com/lydiard.html It aims to keep you fast while doing the base phase.

Comment

Ah I've heard of Lydiard, will have a read. Hadd's method has its appeal, I mean...all that easy running is...easy. The potential drawbacks are 1) Sometimes easy running is extremely tedious, 2) I've heard that you can improve with this approach but for some that progression plateaus after x months doing nothing else. 3) Doing 50 miles a week as Hadd prescribes is very time consuming at such a snail's pace. It works out about an hour a day and two hours on Sundays. I have kids...!

I have been doing occasional interval sessions, but no steady runs, which is something I used to do a lot. I'll likely continue as I am until this half is done and dusted, then consider some other methods like Lydiard.

Portsmouth could be good. I'm definitely just looking to get round the first one. No explosions if poss!! At the moment I could probably run about 30km if I was well fuelled. Most I've done in practice was 25km. Let's just say, glad I was carrying cash for a bus home! Talk about sudden energy depletion...I felt strong at 20km.

Comment

Hadd is fine for building a base if you've never had one before (I did 3 months) but it doesn't work on lactic acid removal efficiency, so, great for ultras, but for marathons and below, you need more variety. Asking on facebook groups, you'll see that the people that always suggest Hadd are the people that just plod all day, not the people that go fast. If you just practice long slow running you turn into an excellent long slow runner.

Comment

My recommendation would be to include a long slow run (with a few fast km thrown in), a threshold run of around 45mins, intervals (400m and 1km, but not in the same session), and occasionally race pace runs (e.g. 6-10 miles if doing a marathon, 5k if doing a 10k race). If you have time to run in the days in between the hard sessions above then ensure it's always an easy run, like 4-10 miles slow, depending on legs.

Comment

And if you have hills, then use them as a hard session

Comment

My recommendation would be to include a long slow run (with a few fast km thrown in), a threshold run of around 45mins, intervals (400m and 1km, but not in the same session), and occasionally race pace runs (e.g. 6-10 miles if doing a marathon, 5k if doing a 10k race). If you have time to run in the days in between the hard sessions above then ensure it's always an easy run, like 4-10 miles slow, depending on legs.
                                Yeah, that's kind of what I was doing last year, i.e. lots more variation, although not quite the mileage I would have liked. I decided to experiment with Hadd's technique purely on the basis of his claim that the reason there isn't an alignment between lots of runners' race times is down to lack of time on feet. Based on my 5k time, I should be able to run a 1hr36 HM, but my best (and it was a good day) is 1hr41. I have no idea how ready I am to go sub 1:40, but if I can do that in 3 weeks time I'll consider that successful training. I suppose there's an argument that sticking with Hadd could be a good approach to getting round a marathon. But I know I'll end up signing up for a few 10Ks mid year and being disappointed if I don't get reasoanble times. That's the problem, it seems you have to do specific training for your desired race distance. Perhaps Lydiard is the single solution for all distances. Gonna take a look now.

On the subject of hillls, I think our nearest one is about a 10 mile drive away!

Comment

Working...
                                X