No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After owning the book 'Marley & Me' for about two years i've finally just started reading it. A warming little read that most people can connect to, especially if they've had a dog with them during their life.

Just a quick enquiry, how do you guys read most books in terms of time? Does anyone read a book all out in one day, or do you read a chapter a day sort of thing? For me I find it hard to start reading, in terms of if i've not read a book for a few weeks, then it'll take me awhile to begin finishing off the book again. In the past I have been known to take two years to finish off a book, by reading bits every now and again.

I thought that if I had a routine of reading a chapter a night, then that will prevent my extensive non-reading period.
    Last edited by Malc; 21-06-2008, 23:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
      Just a quick enquiry, how do you guys read most books in terms of time? Does anyone read a book all out in one day, or do you read a chapter a day sort of thing? For me I find it hard to start reading, in terms of if i've not read a book for a few weeks, then it'll take me awhile to begin finishing off the book again. In the past I have been known to take two years to finish off a book, by reading bits every now and again.

I thought that if I had a routine of reading a chapter a night, then that will prevent my extensive non-reading period.
      I have a half-hour train journey into work so read on the train - I usually just read until the end of my journey rather than taking chapters at a time, I can usually get through a book a week if it's short to average (I'm thinking James Patterson or a football biography) but if it's a bit more mammoth they can take 2 - 3 weeks (Tom Clancy)

I used to read before going to sleep every night but now I tend to play Xbox - I'm sad to say that if it wasn't for getting the train to work I probably wouldn't read at all

Comment

Reading Middlemarch. Only 150 pages in and I'm ashamed to say that I'm finding it difficult. The plot strands are simple enough, but the language is a little awkward. That or I'm just stupid.

Comment

I'm reading William Goldman's The Princess Bride at the moment. Saw the film for the first time a couple of weeks ago and fell in love with it, so I bought the book, which has been very good so far. I skipped most of the stuff about him 'finding' the book and writing an abridgement because it bored me, but the story itself is great.

I've also got Halo: Contact Harvest here for when I've finished this and want to move on to some high literature.

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post

Just a quick enquiry, how do you guys read most books in terms of time? Does anyone read a book all out in one day, or do you read a chapter a day sort of thing?
            I usually read for about 45 minutes a day although if I'm out in the garden, that can stretch to about 3 hours. Most of my books are borrowed from my local library, so I work out how much I need to read per day before the book's due to be returned.

Comment

I usually read for 45-60 minutes while I'm eating my lunch at work, that's it. I buy all of my books as I have no easy access to a library.

I might see if I can work something out with Mrs. 45 though, as she will usually pass the town library once a week.

Comment

I've read 3/4 of The Dark this weekend, another one of James Herbert's.

So far so good - no ****ty plot twists so far and the insanity keeps escalating! My favourite book of his so far.

Comment

Recently finished Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. Im about to start Only Revolutions by Mark Danielewski.

Comment

Black Hole by Charles Burns (graphic novel). Not really 'reading', more looking and feeling. Really f***ing good.
                    Last edited by Number45; 24-06-2008, 10:51. Reason: Filtered swear word

Comment

I shotgunned (downed in a onner) James Herberts' 'The Rats' last night from midnight to 6am. F**k me what a book. Eventhough it's only 170+ pages I've never read a book in one sitting before.

I was initially put off of reading it due to me not being phazed by rats at all - Infact I'd probably play with a dirty wild rat, if I ever found one, just to disgust my companions for humour - although these motherf**kers are proper ****tening. It was actually me reading the first chapter of 'Domain' (the 3rd book in the trilogy) that prompted me to start The Rats then Lair just so I could continue before I spoilt it any more. Domain sounds proper intense and is slap-bang on the mark when it comes to describing modern day, or from what I can see indefinate future, political climate. I well can't wait to get that far.

The one thing I love about Herbert is that he leaves nothing uncovered - all the weird + freaky **** happens not behind closed doors, or within locked dungeons, but out in the streets, at football matches, infront of thousands of people, and everything is eventually explained properly instead of leaving the reader to think about open ended reasoning - I hate endings like that, you're the writer - don't leave the ending for me to worry about just because your story was **** to begin with.

Just starting 'Lair' right now - and it's a hard-back too so it feels like I'm reading a proper book with some weight instead of some cheapo overly recycled wap.

Comment

Just about to read Phantom Prey by John Sandford which is about goths being murdered in Minneapolis.

Comment

Currently reading through "Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason - his story of being a helicopter pilot during the Vietnam War

Comment

Just finished "Exit A" by Anthony Swofford, it was fairly good.

Comment

Following Lair (The Rats 2) I started Domain (The Rats 3). And just like the first book I read it in one blast, weighing in as one huge 14hr read-binge! (400+ pages) Wow! What a book, what a trilogy! Films could never do any justice to these stories.

How anyone can read Domain, and still feel comfortable living in or close to a city, I don't know. Especially with it's spookily precise predictions on current world events, or events that will surely transpire from the current political climate if things don't change fast.

Comment

Matter by Iain M Banks. So far so good. About 1/3 through. He's tantalising me with promise of untold secrets from previous books being revealed. Fingers crossed. Hope he comes through with it.

Just finished Long Approach to Garbadale by Iain Banks (no M so non-sci-fi). Probably his best non-sci-fi book to date. Fantastically realised characters and locations.

Comment

Working...
                                X