Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The colour of your skin has an impact though on whether the police decide to randomly question you. Many non white friends have been stopped, and the police surprised that they are British, Canadian or American etc.

Comment

I've been reading about the Pasmo IC system on the Metro and wondered if it's something that is worth doing if you're a tourist? There are going to be 4 of us and I've just got a feeling that it's going to be easier swiping in and out than constantly buying single tickets everytime we want to go somewhere - and definitely quicker.

Is this viable? Where can I buy one for non-commuter purposes?

Cheers.

Comment

I have no idea where to get Pasmo, but Suica is just the same and can be bought from Newdays covenience stores for 2000yen each, 1500yen of which is cash on the card to use to travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
          Yeah it's no joke people DO get taken to the police station, you were just lucky not to get stopped! Should have checked this thread a bit more carefully, it's been mentioned a fair few times
          Here's a recent example right here http://www.gaijinpot.com/bb/showthread.php?t=61050

the police also work undercover http://www.japantoday.com/category/c...ps-in-shinjuku

These may be extreme examples but the Police here don't usually mess around

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
            I've been reading about the Pasmo IC system on the Metro and wondered if it's something that is worth doing if you're a tourist? There are going to be 4 of us and I've just got a feeling that it's going to be easier swiping in and out than constantly buying single tickets everytime we want to go somewhere - and definitely quicker.

Is this viable? Where can I buy one for non-commuter purposes?

Cheers.
            Perhaps simpler to get a Rainbow card - this is basically a prepaid subway ticket and I think you get like 1 journey free on a 3000 yen card. You buy them at the same place as single tickets (there will be another machine on the end). Note this applies to Kansai but I'm sure I remember seeing them in Tokyo too.

If you get the commuter passes (icoca etc) you usually have to fill out a form with start and destination stations, but I've never used Suica.

Comment

Originally posted by fuji View Post
              the Police here don't usually mess around
              Until it comes to actually solving some crimes. Then they are totally useless. But harrassing people on bikes, smoking themselves stupid in the kobans and moving on the cosplayers in Harajuku while ignoring gangs of bosozoku riding past, they're world-beaters.

Comment

PASMO is a great system as it can be used for buses too. It's the same a Suica and I can't see the difference between the two really apart form the fact that JR introduced the Suica many years ago. You buy cards at metro station ticket machines and just pre pay the amount you want.

Importantly, it is only for use in Tokyo and the surrounding prefectures as far as I know.

Comment

Cool, unless I'm reading it wrong it seems there are two types. The Commuter Pass for regular A - B journies and one that you can use in general. Is it simply a case of walking up to a Pasmo machine, sticking in ?10,000 and then using the card to get on / off the Metro instead of constantly referring to the station map / finding change etc..?

Comment

You can get a commuter pass A to B function with PASMO but it's the same card and all that happens is the info is written to it and printed on top. You won't need that function of course. The card needs to be 'purchased' if I recall but same as Suica at 500 yen maybe. I am not sure on that as I have a PASMO but can't remember if I had to pay for it.

Anyway just go to a metro ticket machine, press for English guidance, choose PASMO and I am sure it will be simple from there. The minimum pre pay is ¥1,000 and I assume ¥10,000 is available too.

The card only needs to be swiped near the entry gate sensor, not actually inserted like a regular ticket so in fact you can keep it in your bag or wallet and just touch the sensor with that. Buses also accept it as well as many vending machines and convenience stores/ station kiosks. It's e-money basically.

This should clear up any questions actually. Forget my post above lol.

EDIT: Yep, ¥500 is needed per card. Open type probably best for visitors.
                    Last edited by Richard.John; 01-10-2008, 08:33.

Comment

You can use Suica on JR lines in areas outside of Tokyo (ie. areas served by ICOCA on JR West trains) so it may be more flexible if you're travelling around.

Worth mentioning you can also get 1-day metro tickets for 700~1000 yen which would probably save you a bit if you want to travel around various areas of the city while sightseeing. Just make sure you don't lose your ticket!

Comment

Excellent point, r3z.

Comment

Oh and Suica can also be used to pay for stuff in some shops like Newdays, BIC Camera, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by fuji View Post
                            Here's a recent example right here http://www.gaijinpot.com/bb/showthread.php?t=61050

the police also work undercover http://www.japantoday.com/category/c...ps-in-shinjuku

These may be extreme examples but the Police here don't usually mess around
                            Scary mary!

Like I said, never mentioned to us at the hotel or the guides we had. Aah well, all's well that ends well.

Hope no-one gets hassled like this whilst visiting.

Comment

I also used to leave my passport at the hotel most days, although I did take it out in the evenings as I figured they'd be more bored around that time

I'd get wary about asking policemen for directions in case they decided to follow up the help with a passport viewing request, but I'd be more likely to carry it around with me next time anyway just in case, Murphy's Law and all that...

Comment

I've never had any problems either in the big cities or where we are on Shikoku even though I'm the only non-Japanese I usually see.
                                Last edited by Anpanman; 07-10-2008, 19:05. Reason: the spell checking twat's

Comment

Working...
                                X