Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was watching Andy Gray defending Ronaldo's dive ("if you're foot is out, there's nothing in the rules that says a player has to try and avoid it") then proceeding to defend the way he took it (doing his usual pause), saying that strikers should have every possible advantage taking penalties and that it has no effect on keepers (which is total rubbish).

Just because there isn't a specific rule, doesn't mean it's not unsportsmanlike behaviour. The rules are designed to be simple, not something only a lawyer can understand.

Comment

Unbelievable week all told really.

Last weekend, I fully expected us to be to be 6 points behind Arsenal and behind Liverpool on goal difference by end of this weekend, but things could only have been better had Chelsea slipped up too.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
        Was watching Andy Gray defending Ronaldo's dive ("if you're foot is out, there's nothing in the rules that says a player has to try and avoid it") then proceeding to defend the way he took it (doing his usual pause), saying that strikers should have every possible advantage taking penalties and that it has no effect on keepers (which is total rubbish).

Just because there isn't a specific rule, doesn't mean it's not unsportsmanlike behaviour. The rules are designed to be simple, not something only a lawyer can understand.
        Well Andy Gray is on spot to be honest. Against Fulham he tried to avoid contact and was booked for diving, this week he was given a penalty when he stood his ground and went over. The whole penalty thing, unless there is a rule brought in saying you can't do it then fair play to any player who does it.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post

I actualy thought stoping before shooting when taking a penalty was against the rules, referees just dont seem to punish for it anymore so virtualy everyone does it. I dont think its very sportsman like either, but then no one ever won anything by being sportsman like, you win by taking every oportunity you have to score.
          Last edited by rmoxon; 10-12-2007, 01:22.

Comment

The penalty stop is NOT supposed to be allowed. Originally, it was defended by saying the player had slowed down rather than stopped. But now certain players (definitely not all) do it. But I have never seen a ref do anything about it.

Ronaldo's dive reminds me of that simpsons episode where Lisa and Bart walk around punching thin air saying any contact is the other's fault. It was a dive. It is not the first time and it will not be the last.

Nice to see Giggs get 100. Should have celebrated like in the old days though! (I thought his handshake with Ince years back was very good!)

Comment

Originally posted by saif View Post
              The penalty stop is NOT supposed to be allowed. Originally, it was defended by saying the player had slowed down rather than stopped. But now certain players (definitely not all) do it. But I have never seen a ref do anything about it.
              **** me, you`d think CRonaldo was the first player ever to delay in his run up when taking a penalty, John Aldridge was doing this 20 years ago.

Regarding the "dive", ALL professional football players when presented with an oppertunity to earn their side a penalty will take that oppertunity, FACT! It is (sadly) part and parcel of the now high stakes modern game.

As for smurf and friends who wouldn`t know a world class player if one dived in front of them, I`d be more concerned about players like Eboue slapping some **** in the face like a happy slapping chav and Stephen Ireland`s horror tackle on Young-Pyo Lee. I know the lad is from Korea but doing Taekwondo on him while he`s trying to play football is taking the piss.

Anti United mugs really wind me up. It`s muppets like these that would`ve been calling for Cantona to get a life ban from football when he flying kicked the chav at Palace, eventhough without players like him and CRonaldo the prem would be ****.

Originally posted by saif View Post
              Nice to see Giggs get 100. Should have celebrated like in the old days though! (I thought his handshake with Ince years back was very good!)
              Paul Ince doesn`t play for United anymore.
              Last edited by Nembot; 09-12-2007, 23:24.

Comment

^^
                Post of the Year!

Comment

Originally posted by Nembot View Post
                  Regarding the "dive", ALL professional football players when presented with an oppertunity to earn their side a penalty will take that oppertunity, FACT! It is (sadly) part and parcel of the now high stakes modern game.
                  Walcott didn't when Arsenal were 2-0 down to Middlesborough, despite having a very good chance to try. Guess some players would prefer to win without cheating, eh?

Comment

As I said before, it was stopped (afaik) because of John Aldridge. IIRC, Aldridge's run up was seen as unfair so the FA banned it. When he did it, therefore, it was allowed but now it is not supposed to be. The word "supposed" is important. I used to have a problem with players doing it but it appears that the FA don't mind anymore so fair play. Ronaldo is a very good penalty taker, it is all about mentality so if it gives him one over the keeper, that is what he should do. It is the ref's duty to stop him, or anyone else, but they don't think it is wrong.

I'm glad that you can see he dived (or "won" the penalty - whichever you prefer).

Old goal celebrations were better I think than the ones around now.

Comment

There are quite few laws that have been relaxed over the years, not only the penalty in "one motion", but the keepers coming off their line before the ball has been struck, the ridiculous amount of foul-throws that occur on a weekly basis etc.

Comment

One thing players get away with now is stealing ground at throw-ins. Riise ran to about 20 yards from where the ball went out to set up Liverpool's second against Besiktas. And the ball had hit him last ...

Comment

Originally posted by Malavon View Post
                          Walcott didn't when Arsenal were 2-0 down to Middlesborough, despite having a very good chance to try. Guess some players would prefer to win without cheating, eh?
                          Arsenal are now giving lessons in morality are they?

Don`t quote me, Malavon. The Wallcott situation and the CRonaldo one were completely different, fella. Whenever CRonaldo has the ball he`s surrounded by several players so in a crowded penalty area and if there is nothing else on he`ll be looking for a penalty. Whereas if he`s bearing down on goal (like Wallcott was) even under a challenge CRonaldo will get the shot away rather than go over.

Wallcott is still learning his trade. It`s with experience that players learn to con/dupe referees into giving penalties or any other decission for that matter. I bet if the ball dropped down from the heavens and he smashed it out of play on the volley he`d still put his hand up and claim a throw in, it`s instinctive. Then again if he was stationary in a crowded penalty area and there was an oppertunity to go over an out stretched leg he probably would.

The fact that CRonaldo is so quick casts doubt in players minds in the 18 yd box. If you mistime a tackle he goes over, but if you stick your leg out in a half arsed attempt at a tackle he`ll go over it everytime. The only way to stamp this out is to have video replays but as this won`t be happening anytime soon it`s here to stay I`m afraid.

Since when did John Aldridge have to change the way he took his penalties? He was still doing it at Tranmere after playing in Spain!
                          Last edited by Nembot; 10-12-2007, 12:24.

Comment

My only problem with CR is that rather than wait for the contact to actually occur and then go down, if he sees the opportunity he starts to throw himself and then kicks his leg out to ensure contact is made.

I genuinely feel that someone with his ability shouldn't have to resort to those kind of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Malavon View Post
                              Walcott never dives really, though saddly its probabaly more down to lack of experience than not wanting to cheat. The way Arsenal players act like stroppy kids when they are losing a game I would imagine they would take every possible opurtunity to cheat really.

Comment

Originally posted by Nembot View Post
                                **** me, you`d think CRonaldo was the first player ever to delay in his run up when taking a penalty, John Aldridge was doing this 20 years ago.

As for smurf and friends who wouldn`t know a world class player if one dived in front of them, I`d be more concerned about players like Eboue slapping some **** in the face like a happy slapping chav and Stephen Ireland`s horror tackle on Young-Pyo Lee. I know the lad is from Korea but doing Taekwondo on him while he`s trying to play football is taking the piss.

Anti United mugs really wind me up. It`s muppets like these that would`ve been calling for Cantona to get a life ban from football when he flying kicked the chav at Palace, eventhough without players like him and CRonaldo the prem would be ****.
                                Quality shouldn't and doesn't excuse unsportsman like behaviour. Yes players always want penalties but few actively go about seeking them in the manner Ronaldo does on a matchly basis.

Drogba managed to get the golden boot without constant diving, even if he does have the pain threshold of a 10 year old girl.

Comment

Working...
                                X