No announcement yet.

Summer 2009 Transfer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you see the article about Arshavin complaining because he gets shafted on the tax in this country? I'm sure I read they only pay 12% in Russia.

Of course, he still takes home 40k a week. I think I could just about manage on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Malavon View Post
      It is possible to still get good deals though - Arshavin for ?15m, Barry for ?12m (higher wage cost though). Neither one of those are any worse than Berbatov imo, yet ?15m-?18m cheaper which is hilarious really.
      Very true. They're good price for good players. Still, City would have paid 3 times those prices!

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
        Did you see the article about Arshavin complaining because he gets shafted on the tax in this country? I'm sure I read they only pay 12% in Russia.

Of course, he still takes home 40k a week. I think I could just about manage on that.
        Yeah, I think I also saw an article where his agent said those quotes had been made up and he never said it. Whether thats true or not I don't really know, nor actually do I really care. 50% tax is insane, but as you said, I'm sure he can survive on "only" 40k a week.

Comment

I am more than happy to see folks on 100K a week pay 50% tax on their wages.

Comment

Friend told me about an article a couple of weeks back where Arshavin had asked for a pay rise to make up for the extra tax he was paying lol. Sure it wasn't the case but made me chuckle all the same.

Should show him my year on year P60, that would bring a tear to his eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoraths mullet View Post
              I am more than happy to see folks on 100K a week pay 50% tax on their wages.
              ...and I wouldn't be complaining if I had to pay 50% tax on a 100K wage myself.

Must be a real struggle for these c*nts, how can they afford to live on 50k a week after tax? It's just NOT FAIR!

Comment

There are plenty of people around the world who'd consider a £12K job in the UK an insane amount of money and could live for many years on a month's wage. The more money you have, the more expensive it is 'to live'.

When you retire in your 30's, you need to have a huge pension pot built up if you want to maintain a similar level of living to what you're used to and young men aren't known for savvy financial planning. The pension pot gets hit incredibly heavily by the taxman too.

Comment

And don't forget the millions the top players get from boot, clothing companies etc etc

Especially if your name is David Beckham, his footballing salary is probably 10% of his annual income.

Tough old life.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                    There are plenty of people around the world who'd consider a ?12K job in the UK an insane amount of money and could live for many years on a month's wage. The more money you have, the more expensive it is 'to live'.

When you retire in your 30's, you need to have a huge pension pot built up if you want to maintain a similar level of living to what you're used to and young men aren't known for savvy financial planning. The pension pot gets hit incredibly heavily by the taxman too.
                    Say you can put aside a million a year (?20k a week, which you can surely do if you take home ?50k a week). Do that for 10 years, that's ?10m. Earning what, ?500k interest, given you'd get some nice opportunities for that kind money.

They don't even need a pension! Average income in the country is ?25k. You'd have to work for 20 years to get the same amount they'd earn in interest per year.

I think they'll live.

Comment

Actually pensions don't get massively hit by the tax man, they're actually very good tax wise as the your contributions are topped up with basic rate tax relief (i.e. you contribute £80 the tax man tops it up to £100).

Plus you can take 25% of the pot as a tax free lump sum when you retire, which will be a considerable amount of tax free cash considering the size a footballers pension pot will be.

Comment

Smurf was simply justifying the average Chelsea players salary

Comment

Pensions get taxed at 40% above £230K on top of the 50% they'll have been taxed already (then of course you pay 15% VAT on what you buy, yay for taxes \o/). It's not cheap saving for a large pension in a short space of time.

Comment

so man u have accepted a £80M bid from real madrid.
                            should be done by the 30th june.
                            who would they replace him with?

Comment

Footballers pay tax. Good thing seeing as they have used the state for a lot. State infrastructure has enabled them to be able to make the money they make. In the case of UK born players - state hospitals, state paid and/or trained doctors, state education.
                              On top of providing the infrastructure that lets them live their lives such as policing, roads, running the country so spectators can pay their Sky subs and fans can pay for season tickets.

So, actually, yay for taxes.

Comment

£80Million is silly money.

Will be interesting to see if that's turned into transfer money to spend or if it's used to pay off the loans. I don't think Man U can replace him easily.

Footballers pay tax. Good thing seeing as they have used the state for a lot. State infrastructure has enabled them to be able to make the money they make. In the case of UK born players - state hospitals, state paid and/or trained doctors, state education.
                                On top of providing the infrastructure that lets them live their lives such as policing, roads, running the country so spectators can pay their Sky subs and fans can pay for season tickets.

So, actually, yay for taxes.
                                But then they use private healthcare and, from the age of 12, have likely been taught by a football club's youth scheme. They're one of the biggest contributors but also one of the people who are least likely to use the services provided for the public. Football clubs pay for the policing at their games too.

Comment

Working...
                                X