Half-Life 2 (PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anephric
    Has anyone tried the R8-HDRBLOOM mod? What performance hit will I take? And the hi-res texture pack that's knocking around?

http://files.filefront.com/Half_Life.../fileinfo.html
    Never seen that before. I'll give it a try. Whats that you say about a hi-res texture pack!?

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
      120 minutes for a Half-Life 2 patch that, from previous experience, probably won't do anything beneficial except make the game stutter even worse. Yay!
      I take it emailing Erick Johnson at Valve didn't turn up any results then?

Comment

I forgot to email him. :/

It's the first time I've played the game in weeks to be fair.

Comment

the new steam is real purdy

Seems like they're fixing that steam friends system as well. What i wouldn't give for them to integrate xfire into steam

Comment

Lost Coast finally set to arrive next week it would seem

Taken from Steam News and Steampowered.com

Our current plan is to release Half-Life 2: Lost Coast next week. Lost Coast is a free level for everyone who owns Half-Life 2, and serves as an HDR technology demo based in an unreleased section of the "Highway 17" chapter of Half-Life 2.

After Lost Coast is released, we'll be working on getting some new content for both Counter-Strike: Source and Day of Defeat: Source, along with an update to the SDK, out the door. More info coming on that next week
            Hopefully Aftermath will be any time soon as well

Comment

Lost Coast has got me sucked right back into Half Life 2. Playing through it *again*

The Steam engine continues to amaze me. But what really sets it apart from other games is the attention to detail in everything from characters to scenery and right down to simple wall textures.

Roll on Aftermath

Comment

My PC sucks for Lost Coast, I ran HL2 at 1280 x 1024 with almost everything on full and accepted some bits of slow down, it never really bothers me, but LC just crashed to a halt when I do that so I'm gonna wait til I upgrade to play through it again properly.

Comment

In my case Lost Coast runs perfectly fine... untill I switch weapons or whatnot and all of a sudden the game is crawling and stuttering for some minutes.
                  After all stuttering is done, everything runs perfect again - until the next slow down.

My setup:
                  - AMD64 3000+ (on a ASUS motherboard)
                  - 1gb RAM (in dual channel)
                  - Gaming running from a RAID-0 Stripe array (should atleast be 50% or so faster then a regular 7200rpm hd)
                  - 7800GT Graphics Card
                  - Audigy Soundblaster
                  ...which runs games smooooth, FEAR can run on maximum!
                  ...Half-Life 2 used to run great.

So, I'm stomped. I guess Lost Coast is currently best optimized for ATI?
                  I'll just wait until nVidia releases a new driver and/or Lost Coast gets updated.

Ah, well.. :cries:

EDIT:
                  I've surfed to nVidia's site to discover that a new driver was released.
                  After reading the release-notes, I've found this solved issue:
                  "GeForce 7800 GT/GTX: The system crashes after a minute or so of
                  playing Half-Life 2: Lost Coast."

Hoorah! ... Can't wait to try this at home! 8)
                  Last edited by The Raeven; 03-11-2005, 10:13.

Comment

To be honest, its verrry buggy! I was shocked to be honest they released it in its state!

Comment

Originally posted by The Raeven
                      In my case Lost Coast runs perfectly fine... untill I switch weapons or whatnot and all of a sudden the game is crawling and stuttering for some minutes.
                      After all stuttering is done, everything runs perfect again - until the next slow down.

My setup:
                      - AMD64 3000+ (on a ASUS motherboard)
                      - 1gb RAM (in dual channel)
                      - Gaming running from a RAID-0 Stripe array (should atleast be 50% or so faster then a regular 7200rpm hd)
                      - 7800GT Graphics Card
                      - Audigy Soundblaster
                      ...which runs games smooooth, FEAR can run on maximum!
                      ...Half-Life 2 used to run great.

So, I'm stomped. I guess Lost Coast is currently best optimized for ATI?
                      I'll just wait until nVidia releases a new driver and/or Lost Coast gets updated.

Ah, well.. :cries:

EDIT:
                      I've surfed to nVidia's site to discover that a new driver was released.
                      After reading the release-notes, I've found this solved issue:
                      "GeForce 7800 GT/GTX: The system crashes after a minute or so of
                      playing Half-Life 2: Lost Coast."

Hoorah! ... Can't wait to try this at home! 8)
                      I have a 7800GT and with the latest drivers it runs smooth as silk. 8)

(P4 3.0, 4x512MB DDR2)

Comment

Does anyone know when the next part of Metastasis is due? I really enjoyed the first level.

Comment

My PC is a hunk of ****. Its an AMD2200 (1.8Ghz) 512RAM and a 9800pro

HL2 runs at a decent frame rate but is *VERY stuttery like it's loading textures and sounds too slowly. It's so bad that i'm prob gonna buy the xbox version in a couple of weeks.

BUT, for some strange reason it runs Lost Coast really well with the HDR lighting on and everything. Sometimes the frame rate dives but not that often and i get no stuttering. Wierd.

Still it is my actual FAVORITE game. Nothing is better imo.

Comment

Originally posted by don_caballero
                            My PC is a hunk of ****. Its an AMD2200 (1.8Ghz) 512RAM and a 9800pro

HL2 runs at a decent frame rate but is *VERY stuttery like it's loading textures and sounds too slowly. It's so bad that i'm prob gonna buy the xbox version in a couple of weeks.
                            That makes no sense at all! I have a slower processor, 1GB of ram and a worse gfx card (GeForce Ti4600) yet I can run it at full detail at 1024 and it's dead smooth.
                            Have you ever tried uninstalling it and doing a fresh install?

Comment

Originally posted by Ish
                              Does anyone know when the next part of Metastasis is due? I really enjoyed the first level.
                              There's been no mention of part two yet

Wish the guy doing it would pull his finger out and hurry up.

edit:- there's also a patch out now for LC via Steam which may help some of your having probs.
                              Last edited by Spatial; 03-11-2005, 16:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnakai
                                That makes no sense at all! I have a slower processor, 1GB of ram and a worse gfx card (GeForce Ti4600) yet I can run it at full detail at 1024 and it's dead smooth.
                                Have you ever tried uninstalling it and doing a fresh install?
                                Its the ram.

Farcry and HL2 was the first games ( more or less anyway ) that _required_ 1 gb ram to function properly.

I upgraded from a geforce 2 mx to a 9800 pro but farcry still ran like crap, so i upgraded my ram to 1gb and it jumped to total smoothness.

Comment

Working...
                                X