DriveClub [PS4] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha ha ha! I know, I know.

It's not just that, it's that feeling when you're trying to convince someone to just try something (book, film, food, album, whatever) but they won't because one person said "It's crap".

Comment

Let's not overhype the game though. Great people are enjoying it but it's still no PGR4. That had immense weather, especially for the time.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
        Let's not overhype the game though. Great people are enjoying it but it's still no PGR4. That had immense weather, especially for the time.
        It is NOT acceptable for ANY of you to say you're enjoying this game as it does not carry the Nakamura seal of approval, am I being clear on that? And that goes for every other thread on this forum, understood?

Comment

That's clearly not what I said. But if you want to put up with more products like we've had this past year, be my guest.

Comment

I'm quite happy to build the game up tbh- most fun I've had with a racer in years! Rides the line between sim and arcade racer brilliantly.

Another point I've read - People call the menus bland or merely functional- but I'm happy that I can navigate them without Fifa style windows and Pop ups and confusion everywhere- I see a simpler cleaner interface as a positive!

I accept I've joined in at the end of the process when it now works, but what I'm playing is great

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
              My heart goes out to Evo, they've made a good game in exceptional circumstances.
              What are these exceptional circumstances?

They we're developing a game within a usual time frame and aiming for the PS4 launch. They we're given an extra eleven month reprieve to finish it and ended up releasing a game which didn't work online and has one fifth of the content of their contemporaries.

That's just a lack of foresight/bad planning/management on behalf of the games director(s)

Comment

Originally posted by Kron View Post
                What are these exceptional circumstances?

They we're developing a game within a usual time frame and aiming for the PS4 launch. They we're given an extra eleven month reprieve to finish it and ended up releasing a game which didn't work online and has one fifth of the content of their contemporaries.

That's just a lack of foresight/bad planning/management on behalf of the games director(s)
                id totaly agree the only exceptional circumstances are that they failed to deliver on so many levels and where the hell is the ps+ version?

It is january exactly 1 year on from the supposed launch of the ps+ version and where is it? surely enough people have now ditched this game to let the ps+ version out of the gates without the inevitable network issues that the retail version was saddled with.
                Last edited by Lebowski; 08-01-2015, 10:59.

Comment

Let's try and keep this thread on track for people actually playing/wanting to play the game please, and take the (much deserved, but not for here) botched release talk over to the general gaming forum. Thanks.

Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                    I think it's perfectly fine to talk enthusiastically about the game, I'm having a real blast and despite the past problems, I got the game bundled and it's been patched so that's the experience I'm having with the game.

I played PGR4 only a few months ago and despite adoring the game, it's completely fair to say that the rain effects in Driveclub are several times more impressive than Bizarre Creations opus. Not that I want to tear down PGR4 as I love it, but Driveclub is my closest comparison to the title.

Just thinking about drifting around Canada in the wet is making me want to run home to play it!

Comment

How much content is there 'out of the box' on this? The season pass shenanigans seemed quite confusing, I seem to remember, but I'm guessing it might have changes a bit since then...

Comment

It feels like there's a good chunk of content, and this comes from someone who normally moans about racers having 600 cars of little variety and 10 tracks!

There's around 6 locations with lots of tracks, some being point to point like a rally with others being closed circuits. There's something like 50 + cars and there's a good variety of unique cars. No F1 cars or monster trucks if that's your thing! Also, I've played around 6 hours of the career mode and have only just passed the first championship race. Although you could argue the career mode feels stale as it's just select the next race, I love the set up. You don't have to always finish first, but you have a Star system whereby you can get in the Top 3 to get 1 Star but you can also fulfil other criteria such as beat a drift score or race line on a specific part of the track. You have no idea where this challenge will occur so as you're racing, the challenge will pop up and then you have to re-adjust your line and thinking, deep breath, then take on that challenge.

Honestly, I've not had this much fun in a single player racing game career since Project Gotham Racing 2 or the opening of Gran Turismo 6. It doesn't do anything seriously new, but it's placed these cool social features and challenges in a slick, modern version of Project Gotham Racing 4. Without the cities though!

Comment

Thanks Wools. So the locations are different regions or something? Not licenced real-world tracks (not that I much care for that, tbh)...?

Comment

Yeah, there's 6 regions each with different types of landscapes and views, with various tracks and point to point races on each. Loads of content had been added for free (from cars, to new tracks, and brand new events which indclude single player race packs as well as other stuff) all for free.

One of the DLC packs is only ?1.69 for a brand new set of races with all the weather effects cranked up on them ( you can do this anyway without buying this pack) and the other two DLC packs are free right now- all of them with trophies if that's your thing).

There's loads to do before you even look at the online club aspect, and there's more free tracks and cars coming even if you don't buy the season pass.

Comment

Thanks MrKirov

Comment

The season pass is only ?19.99 as well, and it looks like it's going to be well supported soay we'll be worth it- I got the game new for ?23 so I'll probably use the upcoming 10% voucher to bring the cost down so I've only paid for a full priced title for the game and season pass. The content so far justifies it if the packs are at all similar

Comment

Working...
                                X