No announcement yet.

Nintendo Wii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There should be no need for the compatibility list because the hardware is so similar to the Cube, I think. Probably only 1 or 2 games will ever have a problem.

Comment

I thought it was backwards compatable with everything (it is just an overclocked Gamecube, after all). (as above)

I'm considering an import console this time, never did before, but I'll probably go PAL for the assurance. I figure there is a good chance that the fringe games, which are going to sell in reduced numbers, are the ones which are most likely to be region free. Anyway, I'll try to keep complaints to a min when I get shafted!

Still if they delay to March 2007 I might just have to import anyway

Comment

I figure there is a good chance that the fringe games, which are going to sell in reduced numbers, are the ones which are most likely to be region free.
        What's your reasoning for that? Aren't games that sell in reduced numbers niche ones and usually released by companies that don't have European arms? Meaning that the American version and possible European release will quite possibly be released by different publishers and therefore be competing products.

Example: Psychonauts for Xbox and PS2. USA by Majesco Sales in April 2005, Europe by THQ in February 2006 - both region locked.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris
          There should be no need for the compatibility list because the hardware is so similar to the Cube, I think. Probably only 1 or 2 games will ever have a problem.
          I think he might of meant Virtual console when he said "when and how much"

Comment

When we asked Nintendo about the A/V hookup, they said the system would include an all-in-one composite-component cable much like the one included with the premium Xbox 360. We did not get to see those cables, so take that one with a grain of salt.
            Nice.

From: http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7...?tag=cnetfd.mt

Comment

Excellent

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris
                What's your reasoning for that? Aren't games that sell in reduced numbers niche ones and usually released by companies that don't have European arms? Meaning that the American version and possible European release will quite possibly be released by different publishers and therefore be competing products.

Example: Psychonauts for Xbox and PS2. USA by Majesco Sales in April 2005, Europe by THQ in February 2006 - both region locked.
                Hmm. I never thought of that. I figured that it would be an opportunity for a company to sell their game in more territories, particularily if they really didn't plan on an international release (Psychonauts wasn't exactly niche compared to, say, Ouendan, was it?).

So what kind of games are made region free, is it just random?

Comment

In addition to Wii-specific titles available at retail, the new console is also fully backwards-compatible with all GameCube discs. Moreover, the system's "Virtual Console" will allow users to download a bevy of classic titles from past Nintendo consoles, as well as games originally released for the Sega Genesis and NEC TurboGRAFX. There will be about 30 classic games available on the Wii at launch, including such fan favorites as Donkey Kong, Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64. Approximately 10 additional backlist titles will be added every month. Games will be purchased with Wii Points, a proprietary currency that will work much like Microsoft Points on the Xbox 360. The games will run between 500 and 1000 points. Nintendo will sell 2000 points for $20.
                  I havent seen anywhere else mention about Wii points so I'm not sure whether to beleive it or not

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivion_is_here
                    I havent seen anywhere else mention about Wii points so I'm not sure whether to beleive it or not
                    They were announced today at the JP press conference.

Comment

Where is the best place these days to import consoles from? I hear VG plus is good, but they dont seem to have the Wii up for pre-order yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Garny
                        Where is the best place these days to import consoles from? I hear VG plus is good, but they dont seem to have the Wii up for pre-order yet.
                        VG+ are good although for the Wii you will probs have to pay $300 or so to pre-order it from VG+ as they they tend to raise the price a bit

Comment

I will be ordering mine from Tronix or VG+, whichever is cheaper.

Comment

I guess ill just sit it out for now and see whats what then, thanks

Comment

my main reason for getting a pal one is that all my gamecube games are pal apart from resi4. if thers a delay though, ill bite the bullet and import, deffinately if theres a prog scan issue with pal games. the only reason i bought ntsc resi4 was for prog scan

Comment

Why are you lot so worried if the Euro Wii is delayed? Is it for the sake of Nintendo's EU sales, or because for some reason you're waiting for a PAL version...? (in which case, aren't you on the wrong forum?)
                                Im worried about one of my favorite games companies neglecting the largest games buying public in the world and going the way of SEGA ?
                                And the letters UK in the forum are just as important as the letters NTSC

Im thinking what with the cellphone stuff the VC will be locked to the home nation

my main reason for getting a pal one is that all my gamecube games are pal apart from resi4
                                Well put same here

Comment

Working...
                                X