Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use Apature Priority mostly. Manual mode really doesn't give you any advantage unless you're doing something out of the ordinary. Even the program modes give you the ability to adjust the settings, and whilst you're messing about with the manual settings getting them right for every shot, you're not clicking the shutter button.

The camera is far better at judging the exposure of a scene than I am, and I can always use an EV shift if not. So I concentrate on the depth of field I want, and framing I like, and not have to worry about the rest of it.

Comment

Glad to hear that it's not only me who wimps out of using full manual. I tend to put it on P for walkabouts or just use Av if I want DOF control.

Comment

Had the day off work today so shot across to Goodwood to see what was on as it said Honda on their on-line calendar, turned out to be a press launch for the new CTR so I was quickly collared and stopped from taking any more shots as they feared I would pass them to the press. Not really supposed to put them on the net either but may once I've had a chance to process them.

As a thank you though they did give me an introduction to someone that was there!!

Also, my £18 wireless flash thingy turned up today, quality is surprisingly good and it seems to work well so far, will report more once I get a chance to use it in anger.

Comment

Got my 50mm 1.8 lens from One stop-digital yesterday, seems good so far - surprisingly light and small though. Makes my camera look so tiny!

Had the chance to shoot a local band (the same one I've done before) - as with last time I really struggled with the lighting and the majority of my shots were completely ruined by blur. I didn't have the space for a tripod and couldn't use a flash, so was a bit limited. If anyone has any tips that'd be really useful, I was hoping for a lot better results than I got so a bit disappointed.

Comment

Increase the ISO? That's part of the problem with a fast lens of course as if you open her up too much you get razor thin DOF, but you already knew that.

Comment

Yeah I was shooting at ISO1600 and 1.8, wondered if there was much else I could do in the situation! Oh I also put it two stops down to decrease exposure.

Comment

You know your stuff well enough Pete to have covered all the bases, under expose it loads and try to save it in post' is about all else I would have mentioned but you've covered that above really.

Only final option is to buy an IS lens!!

I've just got a copy of PS CS2 (finally), will have to start learning all the new stuff. Curves here I come!

Comment

Still yet to play with curves, i know something i need to though - too scared to try!

Comment

Tested a EF300mm f/4 IS lens today. Very impressed.

According to google earth the roof I shot was 165 metres away.

Close up 1:1 (100% zoom)

I'm just really surprised a telephoto lens can be this good.

Exif Eos 5D - 1/200 - f4.5 - iso 160 - it was the shops camera so explains the odd iso!

Google Earth Pic
                    Last edited by Ginger Tosser; 14-01-2007, 01:49. Reason: Added exif

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
                      If anyone has any tips that'd be really useful, I was hoping for a lot better results than I got so a bit disappointed.
                      Kodak TMZ would be your only option mate That's generally the film of choice for music photographers.

Probably not much help?
                      Last edited by Pavey; 14-01-2007, 06:26.

Comment

Took a couple today.

Comment

Great job on the first one Ish, what filters were you using to get it that slow? Water must have been raging!

Comment

Here's the car from Goodwood, only the two decent shots but as I only took 6 total I don't think that's too bad.

The glare from the headlights (on the left front wheel arch) was caused by having a UV filter on I think, never shot cars with headlights before so didn't realise, should have known though as I've encountered that reflective glare before doing night shots.

Last edited by Alastair; 14-01-2007, 16:02. Reason: Added another shot

Comment

Thanks Alastair. I was using a Hoya Polarising filter. My sister bought me it for christmas and this is the first chance I've had to use it. It was taken with the camera held against a fence on about 1/4 exposure.

The river has broken its banks in Bedford and all the sluices are going crazy making for lots of cool water shots

Comment

i took this one a few minutes ago... please excuse the composition. it's called 'microsoft can't make a console worth ****'

Comment

Working...
                                X