No announcement yet.

World Cup 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so far only the Germans have put a whole match together in a coherent manner, there were flashes from Argentina but beyond that I'd say the other teams haven't got the pulse going at all.

the approach seems to be incredibly cautious too, often teams have set out in the past to try and get 3pts in their first match but the view this year seems to simply be not to lose, irrespective of who you are playing. Here's hoping that this brings teams out a bit more once the 2nd round of matches gets underway from tomorrow evening.

looking forward to Portugal v Ivory Coast today, Portugal been in terrible form though and expect to see Winker in Real Madrid mode of shooting from anywhere within 45y of goal.

New Zealand v Slovakia doesn't set the taste buds going that much and beyond a bit of novelty value this evenings match will be a bit 1 sided

Comment

Originally posted by Sam The Man View Post
      Of course it was only the opener and we still have a few of the big teams yet to play. My final of Choice would be Argentina & England but im not sure if either has what it takes to get there.
      If England get to the quarters i'll be happy. As it is, going off our current form from the last 4-5 games i simply can't see us progressing beyond that unless Capello changes it.

The Argies on paper look like like footballs equivalent of the Harlem Globe Trotters. They are who's who of football superstars, much like Spain but i'm not sure they have enough to beat the very best with that defense. But if the draw hopefully goes to plan we could have a very stong semi-final line up.

I'm hoping for, Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Germany or England, but knowing the world cup, it will be Germany.

Comment

Drogba is cleared to play with a broken arm.

Will be interesting to see if there's any difference from his regular theatrics to when he's genuinely in agony. If his arm gets messed up and requires major surgery to fix I'll not be a happy bunny.

Comment

How is that possible? It's not like they can protect it in any meaningful way (Like a mask can a fractured cheekbone for example). Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen - if I were Chelsea I'd be doing everything I could to stop him from playing.

Comment

Could be more a crack than a complete broken arm. If that's the case there's less of a risk of horrific injury but it would still be incredibly sensitive.

The trouble with Chelsea stepping in is that they risk a FIFA fine and a ban for Drogba. Seen it happen once before when Makelele announced he had retired from internationals but got called up by France anyway (extreme lack of class by the French FA)

Comment

Maybe Drogba will go for a hand of God and score the goal that takes them through, but his arm will go sailing into the back of the net along with the ball.

Drogba learn nothing, nothing!

Comment

I remember that. That the French FA can dictate when you stop playing internationals is disgraceful.

It may be a crack now, but with a heavy impact who's to say it won't develop into more? I don't see any way they can stop that kind of pressure being applied. And I wasn't suggesting Chelsea should wade in head first - more that they should make sure FIFA are making their decision on legitimate medical grounds (Yeah, I genuinely think they would risk it to make sure the big players are in the WC).

It seems crazy and irresponsible on all parties.

On another note, is anyone else doing the Back The Beard thing? No shaving while England are still in the WC.

Comment

I would look horrific with a big ginger beard ;_;

Comment

don't think anybody need worry about their beards getting too big

Comment

In the good old days players played with all kinds of injuries while wearing pit boots and using a medicine ball for a football. And they went straight through players. He will be ok or it will drop off in play and be amazing scenes.

Comment

Haha!

The BBC receives 545 complaints about the sound of vuvuzela horns during its World Cup coverage.

Comment

Are there really people out there who believe the BBC can actually do anything about it? Hehe...

Comment

Originally posted by Flabio View Post
                            Are there really people out there who believe the BBC can actually do anything about it? Hehe...
                            "The BBC says it has already "taken steps to minimise the noise"."

the BBC obviously think they can...

Comment

Another 45 minutes of life i'll never get back today, boring game , thank god for germany

Comment

Working...
                              X