Nintendo Switch 2: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post

I think you'll find that they definitely do have that kind of history. Their price conversions for their consoles across the board have pretty much near enough been 1:1 with a few exceptions here and there, and not by much at all.

Given the current climate, I doubt that they'll be adjusting anything for the next console price-wise and I'll take a bet with you on that.
    I'd happily bet that the Switch 2 will be of a lower numerical value in the UK than the USA release price will be (ie. If it's $399.99 there, it'll be <£399.99 here by at least £10-20) because it really isn't in their history to charge 1:1 or more for $ to £ apart from one time with the N64 and the absurd £250 launch price
    SNES 1991 $199
    SNES 1992 £150
    ​ ​
    Nintendo 64 1996 $199
    Nintendo 64 1997 £250
    The exception to the rule, however Nintendo dropped it by £100 a month later

​ ​
    GameCube 2001 $199
    GameCube 2002 £129
    ​ ​
    Wii 2006 $249
    Wii 2006 $179
    ​ ​
    Wii U 2012 $299/$349
    Wii U 2012 £249/£299*
    *Most Retailers sold for this price, but GAME and Play.com (Blast from the past!) had it at £259 and £309 for the basic and premium SKUs
    ​ ​
    Nintendo Switch 2017 $299
    Nintendo Switch 2017 £279
    ​ ​
    Nintendo Switch OLED 2021 $349
    Nintendo Switch OLED 2021 £309
    Nintendo 3DS 2004 $249
    Nintendo 3DS 2005 £229
    Nintendo DS 2004 $149
    Nintendo DS 2005 £99
    Gameboy Advance SP 2003 $99
    Gameboy Advance SP 2003 £89
    Gameboy Advance 2000 $149
    Gameboy Advance 2000 £99
    ​​ ​​
    Last edited by Ouenben; 06-01-2024, 22:09.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
      I remember buying NBA Jam for the SNES when it came out (from Game, I think), and it was £59.99 (£100 in today's money, so says the internet). I'm certainly not advocating £70 games, but it's odd how game pricing has remained relatively consistent for such a long time.
      Electronics Boutique perhaps? There was a golden era when console games were typically £40, before dropping rapidly (2000s). And, of course, PC and computer (e.g. Amiga) games were never so expensive in the 90s. I think I saw a price sticker on one from our loft that was either £20 or £30 RRP.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouenben View Post

I'd happily bet that the Switch 2 will be of a lower numerical value in the UK than the USA release price will be (ie. If it's $399.99 there, it'll be <£399.99 here by at least £10-20) because it really isn't in their history to charge 1:1 or more for $ to £ apart from one time with the N64 and the absurd £250 launch price
        SNES 1991 $199
        SNES 1992 £150
        ​ ​
        Nintendo 64 1996 $199
        Nintendo 64 1997 £250
        The exception to the rule, however Nintendo dropped it by £100 a month later

​ ​
        GameCube 2001 $199
        GameCube 2002 £129
        ​ ​
        Wii 2006 $249
        Wii 2006 $179
        ​ ​
        Wii U 2012 $299/$349
        Wii U 2012 £249/£299
        ​ ​
        Nintendo Switch 2017 $299
        Nintendo Switch 2017 £279
        ​ ​
        Nintendo Switch OLED 2021 $349
        Nintendo Switch OLED 2021 £309
        Nintendo 3DS 2004 $249
        Nintendo 3DS 2005 £229
        Nintendo DS 2004 $149
        Nintendo DS 2005 £99
        Gameboy Advance SP 2003 $99
        Gameboy Advance SP 2003 £89
        Gameboy Advance 2000 $149
        Gameboy Advance 2000 £99
        ​​ ​​
        Thanks for that, I was also curious to see if what Nu-Eclipse was saying is true. I was surprised that this info wasn’t immediately findable. I also found NES was $199 / £179 although the UK figure didn’t have a good source, so could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by egparadigm View Post

Thanks for that, I was also curious to see if what Nu-Eclipse was saying is true. I was surprised that this info wasn’t immediately findable. I also found NES was $199 / £179 although the UK figure didn’t have a good source, so could be wrong.
          Yeah, I was also struggling to find an official UK launch price for the NES so decided to leave it out. Seemed to be around the £179 mark from what I could find though,

USA prices were a breeze to find but I had to do some digging to find some of UK console launch prices.

For Switch first party software RRP seems to be $59.99 to £49.99 on most releases, ($69.99 to £59.99 in Zelda ToK's case). Believe Wii U was the same.
          Last edited by Ouenben; 06-01-2024, 22:06.

Comment

Those prices actually make £379.99 feel overly high, more like £349.99 might be the magic number on the basis that it would still be a solid mark up making it their most expensive system whilst not getting too price-war with future hardware releases. Given the price will likely hold most of its life too...

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              Those prices actually make £379.99 feel overly high, more like £349.99 might be the magic number on the basis that it would still be a solid mark up making it their most expensive system whilst not getting too price-war with future hardware releases. Given the price will likely hold most of its life too...
              £349.99 would put it on par with a Steam Deck LCD 256gb which may well be of a similar level of power if the Switch successor is going down the similar hybrid home/handheld console route.

Comment

Electronics Boutique perhaps? There was a golden era when console games were typically £40, before dropping rapidly (2000s). And, of course, PC and computer (e.g. Amiga) games were never so expensive in the 90s. I think I saw a price sticker on one from our loft that was either £20 or £30 RRP.
                I think it was Game, IIRC, though could well have been EB, as there was one in Liverpool at that time. I remember getting Castle of Illusion for 39.99 from an indie when that came out too. I only remember because my Dad made me go back and get a receipt!

Comment

The thing about quoting past Nintendo console prices is that back then we weren't in a cost of living crisis where people actively had less disposable income than they do now. Also, manufacturers like Nintendo are finding things more expensive to make now and are always looking to pass that price onto the consumer.

I hope I'm wrong, but I honestly see Nintendo attempting to make the Switch successor near £400/$400/€400 RRP across the board, especially if it is hardware that has significant power - something that we all know Nintendo haven't given a sh1t about since the GC - that's why the Steam Deck comparison is flawed in my eyes. Valve don't have a stable of world-class first-party software IP to leverage it for premium pricing like Nintendo do. Also, the Steam Deck (for all of its plus points) sure as hell isn't anywhere near the massive commercial mainstream success of the Switch - another element that Nintendo will factor into the pricing and justification of the pricing of Switch 2.

I'm standing by what I've predicted. 1:1 pricing, no conversion.
                  Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 07-01-2024, 21:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    The thing about quoting past Nintendo console prices is that back then we weren't in a cost of living crisis where people actively had less disposable income than they do now. Also, manufacturers like Nintendo are finding things more expensive to make now and are always looking to pass that price onto the consumer.

I hope I'm wrong, but I honestly see Nintendo attempting to make the Switch successor near £400/$400/€400 RRP across the board, especially if it is hardware that has significant power - something that we all know Nintendo haven't given a sh1t about since the GC - that's why the Steam Deck comparison is flawed in my eyes. Valve don't have a stable of world-class first-party software IP to leverage it for premium pricing like Nintendo do. Also, the Steam Deck (for all of its plus points) sure as hell isn't anywhere near the massive commercial mainstream success of the Switch - another element that Nintendo will factor into the pricing and justification of the pricing of Switch 2.

I'm standing by what I've predicted. 1:1 pricing, no conversion.
                    You are definitely right about that, we already saw them charge £10/$10 more for Tears of the Kingdom. Also haven't seen any official price cuts to the Switch for its entire life, thus far.

With the Steamdeck it's said to be significantly subsidised by the sheer amount of money Valve makes on Steam anyway so never expected it to be as cheap or in line with that. It's selling very well but it's still niche compared to the Switch.

I'll bet you a wee cheap (£5-10) digital game on a platform of the winner's choice that it won't be 1:1!

Comment

The GameCube dropped 50 quid before launch, originally being priced at 179.99
                      Just thought I'd remind people of that.

Comment

I think this is probably unlikely since the pre-tax price would be cheaper in the UK than the US, which almost never seems to happen.

$399 is £313, add VAT and you get £375.

I think you probably got it right the first time, £379 is likely.

Comment

GameShark is being revived with a new product launch having been announced.
                          The announcement is making waves because it is specifically tied to coincide with the launch of the Switch 2

In September 2024

Comment

I’m just going to link to the Era thread that has all this covered already, but an AI company has blatantly nicked Mario for some weird interactive booth think for Target.

If there’s one sure way to end your company, it’s this, let’s all wave goodbye to yet another blatant ai company ripping someone off as the Nintendo lawyers launch full broadsides.

It is as you read, there are a few videos of it and it was covered by IGN yesterday, but an AI company called Proto used Mario's image without Nintendo's permission to promote their tech at CES, aside from being uncanny and really uncomfortable to experience, it promoted... Target? No doubt that...

Comment

In September 2024
                              And Altec admitted "it was just a guess".

Comment

I read someone on there describe it as a terrible lie, but a great marketing move

Comment

Working...
                                X